Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remember 9/11

Sept 11, 2001.  A day that we will never forget.  The pictures still burn in our minds and the feelings come rushing back.  Sometimes I wish I could forget those images.  The people jumping to their deaths.  Air planes flying into buildings and then those buildings coming tumbling down.  The heroes who fought back in PA.  But most of all, for me personally, I will never forget hearing the Pentagon was hit.  The fear, the shock, the sadness... but mostly the fear.  Was my dad coming home that night?  Or was he gone.  Forever.  The fear that overcame me is still so real.  Praise the Lord my dad is here with us today.  He thought it was a fire drill, he had no clue what was even going on at the time.  But that wasn't the case for many other families.  I spent a good part of that day with friends who never saw their husband/father/brother again.  We sat waiting by the window, watching for his car to pull up.  His name was Eddie.  I clearly remember his daughter saying, "I can't work on my home work until daddy gets home.  Daddy always does my homework with me."  It was at that moment I knew in my heart he was gone.  I still cry for his two precious daughters who grew up without their daddy and his wife who was left to raise those girls alone.  It's good to remember what we're fighting for.  But can you imagine how hard it is for them to relive that moment year after year after year?  How can you heal from this terrible loss when the pictures, the videos, the memories are thrown in your face every year*?  We need to continue to pray for them.  For everyone who lost loved ones that day.  And we need to hug our children, our spouses, and all those around us a little closer today.

So, I was sitting in 12th grade English class.  Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?

I know most of this makes no sense at all.  I just really needed to write down my thoughts. 

*Please note that I think it's good to replay the footage, my heart just aches for the families. 

No comments:

Post a Comment