Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This is my ministry

We started a new Bible study at church last week.  It's something that's been missing for a while and it's nice to have a woman's Bible study during the week again.  The book we're studying is called You Matter More That You Think, by Leslie Parrott and it's all about how you are able to make a big difference in other people's lives.  It's nice to hear that sometimes, but it also got me thinking about where I am in my life.  Sometimes I think I need to be serving more.  Maybe I'm not doing enough for God.  That's how I felt after our first meeting.  They encouraged us to mentor those who are younger than we are, which I agree is extremely important, and Biblical.  So it was on my mind for a while.  Am I truly serving God the way He has commanded?  Do I need to start teaching Sunday School again?  Or do some other type of ministry?  I've actually stopped going to another study recently because I felt like it was more important to have that time with my family.  Maybe that was the wrong decision?  Those women are all at a stage of life I've been through (dating, engaged, or newly married) and I could definitely offer some of the things I learned by going through those stages.  I questioned my decisions and my ministries for a few days until Sunday during Church.  We had a guest singer and I completely forget what she was singing (it wasn't a song I had heard).  Whatever it was, it had me feeling even more like a spiritual slacker.  Then it hit me.  Right now, at this point in my life, my primary ministry is to my family.  I don't need my focus and my energy spread out thin in a thousand different ministries.  My children and my husband deserve more than that.  The difference I'm making is in their lives.  I'm teaching them through our daily routines and interactions.  Hopefully they see my desire to serve God and others.  I am exactly where God wants me to be.  Sure, some day He might want my back in a Sunday School classroom or encouraging younger women (well, these women aren't that much younger...just in a different stage I guess), but for now, my place is here with my boys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment