It's Friday, but honestly, I've done very little for my fitness goals this week. However, I would like to post something that's sort of related... Car seat safety tips. Being safe is a part of staying healthy, right? This is also one of my top pet peeves. I absolutely cannot stand to see a baby not strapped into a car seat correctly! So many people do tons of research to find the best car seat with the top safety, but then do not use it properly. Guess what, all that money you just spent on the top car seat out there won't do you any good if you're not using it the way it correctly!!! So, a few tips:
1. This should go without saying, but I have a seen people totally skip this... buckle your child in. Those straps DO need to go over your baby's shoulders.
2. The top buckle should be at baby's arm pits, not his belly button. A baby can fly right through those two straps if the buckle is too low. Keep it chest level!
3. You should only be able to fit two fingers between your child and the strap. If you can fit more, it's too loose.
4. A child should NOT wear a coat in the car seat. Wearing a coat requires you to loosen the seat belt. If you were in an accident, the fluffy part of the coat would squish, making enough room for the child to fly out. This is important. Many, many people don't do this and it has been fatal.
5. As much of a pain as it is, it is safer for your child to remain rear facing for as long as possible. His legs are long and you're worried about him breaking his legs in an accident? Better his legs than his neck. Rear facing is safest!
6. The base of your car seat should not wiggle more than an inch.
7. Get your car seat inspected. Here, the firemen do it. I've read several statistics that say 80% of car seats are installed incorrectly. The fireman who inspected mine said he thought that statistic was off...he thought MORE than 80% were installed incorrectly.
Again, this is your child's life you're protecting. You must use the car seat correctly if you want it to work the way it's designed. YOU must be the one to protect your precious children. Even if you are the best driver in the world, there are crazy, stupid people out there. Your child relies on you 100%.