Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Mexican Chicken Casserole

Last night was new recipe night (it moves around depending on the week). My grandma gave me a cook book for Christmas that was full of recipes that her "butterflies" group made and everyone loved. (side note: her butterflies group is made up of widows who get together often to encourage each other and keep each other from getting lonely) My grandma assured me that all of these recipes were delicious. Not so much the case for this one. It might be partly my oven which apparently doesn't get very hot, but I think it was just a bad recipe. Hubs gave it a 4, I liked it a little more than he did and gave it a 6. T first said it was "yummy" then changed his mind to "yucky." Disclaimer: I am not a cook and still not confident that I made the chicken the correct way. Maybe it tastes better if you know what you're doing ;)

1 1/4 c Hot water
3/4 c salsa, divided
1 T margarine
1 6 oz pkg Stove Top Stuffing mix, chicken flavored
6 boneless skinless chicken breast, halves (this is one area I got confused...)
1/2 c Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded

Heat oven to 350*, stir water, 1/2 c salsa, margarine and contents of vegetable/seasoning packet (from stuffing box) in 2 qt baking pan. Stir in stuffing crumbs to moisten. Arrange chicken over stuffing. Pour remaining salsa over chicken. Loosely cover pan with foil. Bake 35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, remove to serving plate. Fluff stuffing with fork, serve with chicken. Makes 6 servings. Can add chopped onion and celery if desired.

My side notes. I don't know what it means by "halves" so I cut the chicken in half so I had two fat chunks. Maybe I was supposed to do two thin long pieces? I don't know. Also, after baking for 35 min.s at 350, our chicken was still raw. Very raw. So we turned to oven up to 400 and baked another 25 minutes. This turned out perfect for us, but be careful because as I said, our oven doesn't seem to be working correctly. If you decide to try this recipe, let me know if it turns out better for you! It certainly sounds good...

1 comment:

  1. I would think two long, thin pieces would cook faster. I don't know if I would like this LOL so I don't think it's just you. I might use taco seasoning as well as salsa, but then I don't know how that would go with Stove Top Stuffing...that doesn't feel very Mexican to me so. I think you're fine...

    ReplyDelete